Plant dye and screen print workshop
Summer- Pines Calyx
In this series of seasonal workshops from Fable & Base, participants explored the locations to design a range of screen prints, printing and dyeing linen using pastes made from dye extracts, food waste as well as using plants from the natural dye garden at Pines Calyx. We explored the possibilities of mordanting* the fabric and the modifying colours using a range of modifiers to change the acid and alkaline in the dyes to explore a wider spectrum of colour.
* A mordant or dye fixative is a substance used to set or bind dyes on fabrics by forming a coordination complex with the dye, which then attaches to the fabric.
- Loved learning about the process of flax growing.The difference that different mordants can have on the resulting colour of your cloth .That natural dyes can be thickened with seaweed paste and used successfully for screen printing .
- I feel that we were very lucky to be part of the project. We were given the opportunity to learn so much and really enjoyed the experience.
- It was well organised, so no hanging around waiting. Very informative, fun and a very enthusiastic and knowledgable teacher. Left me wanting to do more!
- Fabulous course and excellent value. Thank you