4 Oct 19 – 4 Jan 20
Flax, Fibres & Plant Dyes
Kent Cloth textile works by Francesca Baur
Throughout 2019 Francesca Baur developed a series of seasonal wall hangings each exploring the landscape of Kent inspired by four very different locations for the Kent Cloth Project.
Kent Cloth was Francesca’s response to an awareness of how increasingly disconnected from the making process we have become through the speed of modern textile production. The project advocates a slower approach to creating natural local textiles with a story that embraces local heritage and landscape, employing traditional skills, from growing the flax for linen to making natural plant dyes.
Kent Cloth became a year-long botanical journey for Francesca, from the flax fields of Belgium and Normandy to the White Cliffs of Dover, beginning at the Pines Calyx Garden. This trip around the ‘Garden of England’, referenced the patterns and forms found in some of County’s unique locations; meandering hop vines & abundant hedgerows, the bountiful marshes along the Swale estuary at Elmley Nature Reserve, the historic floral gardens of Doddington Place and the luscious fruit trees of the Brogdale Collection
- I genuinely think this is one of the loveliest exhibitions I have been to locally. The display really does show off the nature of the work beautifully.
- Fabulous exhibition, so enjoyed being part of Kent Cloth art funded days, wonderful opportunity – Thank you
- Excellent process and the results are marvellous! Thank you for the flax seeds too, I will be sowing and experimenting
- Fabulously interesting exhibition ‘slow’ beautifully printed textiles and supporting material
- Love the film
- Beautiful colour, simplicity of design with echoes of Ravilious, Ben Nicholson and Milton Avery. Well done! Keep making!!
- Lovely to see the entire process – would have appreciated a dialogue with the film, otherwise excellent chance find, loved the results!
- Lovely to see the whole process and actual plants etc.
- Beautiful exhibition, intelligent, subtle and local, I loved it
- I visit a few times a year always such a lovely surprise. Really enjoyed Flax, Fibres and plant Dyes, provided a lot of inspiration. Beautifully laid out. Well done Fran, love the colours and prints reflecting local landscapes. Eco-friendly and sustainable – an antidote to the modern wasteful world.
- Good lighting, great exhibition, loved textures and colours
- Great to see nature in use
- Really enjoyed it learnt a lot and made me appreciate how cotton is/was made. Am a quilt maker so this was a lovely surprise as I passed by
- I loved the work especially the colours. It was very well displayed and the film was informative.
- The wall hangings are beautiful and evocative. The natural colours are exquisite. The explanations enhance the enjoyment.
- Beautifully presented exhibition
- Absolutely delightful in its elegance and texture. Beautifully hung. Very impressive. Thank you.
- Another beautiful exhibition – the colours and process involved in this work are stunning. The inclusion of the film is excellent; informative and lots of food for thought on how we produce things, a pertinent message in current times.
- This exhibition is astonishing, it feels so real and transports one back to a time when this would have been more commonplace. Moving somehow. Already my second visit.
- I loved this exhibition and found it very educational despite already having some prior knowledge of the subject.
- Fabulous exhibition! Francesca’s work is a joy! I belong to a London-based textile group Carousel, will certainly be bringing them to see this!
- Very Good, like the explanation of artwork and the fact that you can touch things, good for sensory development. Very informative, a joy!
- Beautiful pictures, well done very nice lovely textures, they have a nice feel.
- Your gallery is amazing
- Loved the natural colours and shapes, natural materials, sourced locally and the local crafts featured
- I was impressed that Francesca is addressing how detached we now are from understanding how these items are manufactured – thank you
- Pleased I saw the exhibition as a grower of flax and a pinner/weaver
- The fabric samples look amazing in person, beautiful colours
- I’m glad I got to see the exhibition before it closed today. I was priviledged to be involved with the creation of some of the dyes and prints (including having a piece of my work displayed).
- I went to the exhibition it was fascinating to see how the theme was developed and to see Francesca’s beautiful work , it was inspirational and lovely to be slightly involved